We wish to thank the Master and fellows of Christ's College, especially Prof. Jim Smith, Prof. Martin Johnson, Rev'd Christopher Woods and those on the Darwin Commitee. Particular thanks to Dr. Brenda Bradley, Dr. Mathew Higgins, Dr. David Norman and Dr. John van Wyhe who read and corrected all the articles. Dr.Higgins also solved many problems and bought me dinner.

Thanks also to Prof. John Gray, Prof. Malcolm Burrows, Dr. Alan Winter, David Scott, Gareth Dawson and the Christ's IT department, Helen Willows, Anthony Smith, Jo Taylor, Nicola Buckley and the Office of External Affairs and Communications, Ian Harvey, Lizzie Mills and her pupils, and Charlotte Skelly.

Thanks to Stephen Nash and Dr. Robert Jurmain for their kind permission to use the primate portrait.

A big thanks to Andrew Sheerin at dspoke for his great work on designing and building the website.

The website is maintained by The Darwin Society at Christ's College, Cambridge.

Copyright

The website is copyright of Christ's College. Individual articles are copyright of the author(s). Images taken from Darwin's publications are copyright the Complete Works of Darwin Online, thanks to Dr. John van Wyhe for permission to use them. The primate 6 Faces portrait is by Stephen D. Nash/Conservation International. © 1997. Used with permission. Unless otherwise indicated images are from Wikimedia Commons and have been released into the public domain.

Credits

The brilliant young minds that put this website together were:

Stephen Montgomery
Director, editor, writer & design team
Favourite Darwin quote: ‘my cirripedal task is an eternal one; I make no perceptible progress… & I groan under my task’

Emily Barker
Editor, design team
Favourite Darwin fact: Darwin's nose almost cost him the voyage on the Beagle since the captain, Robert FitzRoy,'was convinced that he could judge a man's character by the outline of his features; and he doubted whether anyone with my nose could possess sufficient energy and determination for the voyage'.

Adam Brewer
Editor & design team
Favourite Darwin quote: 'We can allow satellites, planets, suns, universe, nay whole systems of universes, to be governed by laws, but the smallest insect, we wish to be created at once by special act.'

Emily Brown
Writer
Favourite Darwin quote: 'A man who dares to
waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life'

Sarah Gardner
Writer & Editor
Favourite Darwin fact: that he made a list of 'Marry' vs 'Not marry' and
one of the points in favour of marital life was 'constant companion and a
friend in old age ... better than a dog anyhow'.

Katy Horder
Writer
Favourite Darwin quote: 'A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not
discovered the value of life'

Tyler Hung
Writer
Favourite Darwin dream: tea with Darwin & Popper

Chris Hurley
Writer
Favourite Darwin quote:'A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart
of stone.'

Henry Li
Writer
Favourite Darwin quote: 'The very essence of instinct is that it's followed
independently of reason.'

John Lynch
Writer
Favourite Darwin quote: 'man is descended from a hairy, tailed quadruped, probably arboreal in its
habits'

Andrew Maddox
Writer
Favourite Darwin fact: Discovered that a new species of beetle excreted a powerful acid as a defence mechanism whilst trying to store a live specimen in his mouth.

Chris Milliken
Editor
Favourite Darwin fact:I'd have to say that my favourite fact is not so much about Darwin himself, but about his descendents, namely that my dissertation supervisor for my final year (and for the year before) is his great great grandson.

Ludwig Pang
Design team
Favourite Darwin quote: 'In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed'

Ed Roberts
Writer & Editor
Favourite Darwin snippet: Darwin born same day as Abe Lincoln

Joe Walmswell
Writer
Favourite Darwin quote: 'The universe we observe has precisely the properties we
should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference'

Elizabeth Wann
Design Team

Peter Whitfield
Design team
Favourite Darwin quote: I love fools experiments. 'I am always making them'

Buyun Zhao
Writer & Design team
Favourite Darwin quote: 'A man's friendships are one of the best measures of his worth'

Charles Darwin
Legend
Favourite Darwin quote: 'I'm a flippin' legend'